Visit Your Dentist in Huntsville for a Healthier, Stronger Smile
Routine dental cleanings performed at Reed Family, Cosmetic, and Implant Dentistry are important to maintaining good oral hygiene and an overall healthy smile. Professional cleanings, administered by your dentist in Huntsville and his hygienists, can remove mineralized built-up plaque that may develop even with careful brushing and flossing on a daily basis, particularly in areas that are difficult to reach. Dr. Reed recommends that patients of all ages visit our office for a routine cleaning every six months.
How it’s done
Most professional dental cleanings last between 30 minutes and an hour. Dr. Reed will greet you and complete a thorough exam of your teeth and gums before one of our trained hygienists perform the cleaning. These cleanings do not cause any discomfort, but we urge patients to let us know if they have any dental fears or experience anxiety during these moments. We want to ensure that your time at our office is a comfortable and beneficial experience.
Exams and X-Rays
During your exam, Dr. Reed will look for any cracked, decayed, or otherwise damaged teeth, as well as review other important items such as:
- Medical History: Any new, or old, medical conditions or illnesses that you have or had experienced may affect your dental health.
- Examination of Tooth Decay: If any of your teeth are severely decayed or cracked, you may be experiencing gingivitis or a more aggressive form of gum disease.
- Oral Cancer Screening: Your face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, and gums will be checked for any warning signs of oral cancer.
- Gum Disease Evaluation: We look at your gums and the bone around your teeth for any evidence or signs of periodontal disease, an aggressive form of gum disease that can lead to tooth loss.
- Examination of Existing Restorations: Current fillings, crowns, and other restorations on your smile will be reviewed to make sure they’re still in good shape.
X-rays will also be taken to reveal any other problems that can’t be seen by the naked eye, especially in the areas that are below your gums. There is only so much that can be seen with these exams, so with the help of our advanced technology, Dr. Reed is able to identify and start solving a dental issue before it can do any serious damage.
If you have any questions about your routine visits, give your dentist in Huntsville a call today at (256) 533-6006 and we’ll be happy to help.